Saturday, January 17, 2009

Broken Utensils in mayim

Finally blogging again after suffering a week of stomach flu & another week nursing my sick son. Sam's fever has finally subsided after 6 days, and tonight had dinner with my anxious parents in one of our fav Chinese restaurants, mayim, in West Mall.

Had to wait a bit while they prepared our table, but the grey Rubbermaid baby chair & the plastic kid's utensils (bowl, cup & metal soup spoon) were all laid & ready for Sam when they ushered us in.

Daddy Mummy both ordered the 烧味双拼汤面 (roast chicken & char siew noodle in soup, S$6.50), since they enjoy the springy Hong Kong style noodles. I personally prefer mayim's handmade noodles, but Sam wanted to eat rice - he must be tired of 6 straight days of noodles, since he's supposed to abstain from rice & porridge when running a fever.

So I ordered white rice (60 cents) and 2 easy-to-digest dishes for Sam & me - 赛螃蟹 (shredded crab & fish in egg white, $8) and 牛油果炸琵琶豆腐 (deep fried minced pork & tofu with avocado cream, $9). Er, sorry, the picture of the dishes were taken after we've eaten 2 of the tofu & the waitress had mixed up the egg white with the sauce.

Anyway, my guess was accurate: the egg white/crab/fish dish was slightly salty & perfect with rice, and Sam didn't have to chew much to swallow the food. I didn't feed him the tofu after all though, remembered last minute the fried food wouldn't really be good for the just-recovered child. Otherwise, surely the well-flavoured tofu would have been welcome by Sam, though I don't see the point of adding the bland avocado cream.

Sam finished his whole cup of warm barley drink ($1.80), hopefully this would remove some of his 'heat'. I had to empty half the serving of syrup into my 花旗参甘露汁 (sugarcane juice with ginseng & carrot, $3.50) before I could tolerate the surprisingly strong taste of the ginseng.

I had made the mistake of forgetting to pack a few toy cars for the meal, and Sam got so bored at dinner I resorted to letting him play with whatever was on the table - a spoon holder & a sauce plate. He was enjoying this makeshift 'aeroplane' and 'rocket', then to my horror, the ceramic spoon holder fell on the floor and broke into 2!! My embarrassment doubled when the waitress offered to replace the spoon holder..........I am never going to forget Sam's toys again!!!!!!

In case you're wondering how Sam survived the rest of dinner: Mummy had to play 'making faces' with him!


Mayim Chinese Cuisine 天乐里精品食馆
#02-04 West Mall
1 Bt Batok Central Link
Tel: 6794-1590

1 comment:

  1. Glad that you and Sam are feeling much better. It is always a challenge to dine out with kids. I always bring along some crayons, coloring books and toy cars too when we eat out, Great post :)

    I would like to invite you to visit Foodista.com - the cooking encyclopedia everyone can edit - and share your favorite recipe and/or link your blog to foodista-related pages using our small embeddable widgets. Check it out here.. This is a great way for you to build blog traffic and connect with other food lovers! Also feel free to share your recipes and tips with us!Thanks!

    ReplyDelete