Sunday, March 22, 2009

Disappointing Rice Box in My Izakaya

Haven't blogged here for a long time, partly cos hadn't been eating at any new interesting places, partly cos been eating in a rush & kept forgetting to take photos of the food, partly cos was plain lazy! ;P

But yesterday visited one of my fav Japanese restaurants, MOF @ My Izakaya. Previously, had only been to their Bugis Junction outlet, and I had been pleasantly surprised to find they've opened another at Suntec City's Fountain Terrance. We sat near the entrance, and Sam was entertained by the view of the giant 'waterfall' from his white Ikea high chair.

Sam had just eaten 1/4 of a donut (Apple Cinnamon from Donut Factory near Carrefour on level 1) half an hour earlier. So I didn't order his usual from the kid's menu (Beary Set A or B, served in a cute bear shaped bento box). Instead, I ordered a Mixed Mince Rice ($5.20) for him, thinking it would be easy to 'tabao' any remaining portions Sam couldn't finish for later in the afternoon.

Well, though my Ebi Tenzaru Soba set ($21.80 for cold soba, 5 tempura prawns, pickles, soup & coffee/tea) was the usual standard, I was highly disappointed with the mixed mince rice. Dunno if the strong pungent taste came from the minced pork or beef. Either way, the meat wasn't well flavoured enough to overcome the pungent meat, and Sam didn't eat of the rice from his plastic Ikea utensils (fork, bowl & spoon).

I ended up feeding him my zaru soba & tempura prawns. And to relieve the disappointment, ordered a dessert: Sesame Zenzai with almonds ($4.70), topping up $1 for kanten jelly, which Sam liked to eat.

Well, portion-wise, the zenzai didn't disappoint: it was huge, much larger than I expected! Taste-wise it was satisfying too. The Japanese red bean paste was sweet (too sweet for hubby, but right for me), and it went very well with the black sesame ice cream, which was very rich, like eating frozen sesame paste. The Japanese rice dumplings were chewy, and the almond flakes - served in a separate bowl - crunchy. I just wished I could finish the dish!!!

Remembered my MOF card, so could get the 15% discount. Think by now I've earned back the $10 application fee for the card.

Oh, by the way, MOF = Ministry of Food.


MOF @ My Izakaya, Suntec City branch
3 Temasek Boulevard #B1-40
Tel : 6338 5523

No comments:

Post a Comment