Tuesday, March 9, 2010

A Rather Chinese Asian Kitchen

Decided to dine at Iluma after praying at the temple, so as to save time (since we had parked at Iluma). After making a tour of the many choices available on level 4, we thought of trying The Asian Kitchen, with its brightly coloured Chinese-styled furnishings.

The restaurant was far from crowded on a Sunday afternoon. The huge windows lit up our table nicely. Sam appeared to be able to reach the table seated on the adult cane chair, so we didn't bother with the baby chairs.

The waitress provided one of their white plastic bowls upon request, together with a small yellow plastic spoon, which I thought was way too small for Sam. Unfortunately, the plastic Chinese soup spoon was much too big for the little guy, as were the metallic fork & spoon, so halfway through the meal I had no choice but to spoonfeed Sam withe baby spoon.

We had chosen the restaurant partly of its attractive adverts of speciality roast chickens, so of course we ordered one of them: a TAK Sauce Roast Chicken ($9.70), which is 1/4 of a chicken. Frankly, though the chicken tasted good, we don't see what's so special about it.

Hubby got a Prawns Fried Rice ($7.90), which turned out to be quite a good fried rice with egg, but with only 4 prawns (peeled & pre-cooked) on top! We might as well had just ordered the plain Egg Fried Rice & save ourselves a couple of dollars!!

I had gotten myself a Vegetable Wanton Noodle Soup ($7.20), which was not bad at all. Certainly no complaints about the quality & quantity for the price & location. Sam willingly finished half a bowl of the noodles & 2 of the meaty wantons, then polished off nearly a whole bowl of his father's fried rice!

The cold Homemade Barley ($3) gave me a slight start, as I didn't expect it to be in a plastic cup sealed the way the Taiwanese bubble tea were done. I guess they must have prepared a whole batch way beforehand, cos the barley was icey cold when served. It was a tad too sweet for me, but both hubby & I loved its obvious homemade taste. So did Sam. :)

The chain offers a membership, which would dole out rebate dollars (details here). We weren't so impressed as to sign up for it though. Especially since I didn't register many 'Asian' dishes in the menu............most all look like typical dishes one would find in a HK tea cafe. I did notice that their signature dessert is 'qing teng' 清汤, very Singaporean, so I guess I won't mind eating there again.


The Asian Kitchen
Iluma #04-07
201 Victoria Street
Tel: 6884-5507

No comments:

Post a Comment