Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Chinese New Year @ Xin Wang Taiwan Cafe

Having eaten at Xin Wang Hong Kong Cafe several times previously, I was kinda glad to have the chance to eat at the Taiwan version of the cafe yesterday, when we had to settle dinner outside with my sister & her daughter, Tiffany, before we go house-visiting.

I hadn't expected the outlet at Bukit Panjang Plaza to be open on the 2nd day of Chinese New Year. So might as well try something new for the new year, right? ;) The menu not as extensive as the Hong Kong cafes.......or rather, there's nearly as many snacks as main courses to choose from, which I guess is unavoidable since the Taiwanese street snacks are so popular.

We got a long table, which Sam & Tiffany could fit comfortably without resorting to the wooden baby chairs. My problem was trying to keep Sam on the bench, since he kept scrambling down under the table to retrieve his cars whenever they fall off the table.

Hubby ordered a Braised Minced Pork Rice 鲁肉饭 ($6.80), which he shared with Sam. The pork was actually not minced, but fatty meat sliced thinly. The Taiwanese style of braised meat tends to be sweet, instead of salty. I don't really mind it, but I've tasted better. Sam enjoyed everything though, including the braised egg that came with the dish.

My sis shared the Stir-fried Bee Hoon with Braised Meat 台式炒米粉 ($4; $3 without the meat) with Tiffany. The Taiwanese-styled bee hoon is different from our local version too - white & plain with no sauce nor bean sprouts. Tiffany managed the dish on her own on the small white plastic plate that's available at every table, as with the metal fork (and all the other cutlery). I fed Sam from a small white plastic bowl I requested from the waiter.

I myself had ordered the sinful Crispy Fermented Chicken Rice 南乳鸡排饭 ($7.80), which took the longest time to serve. The fermented chicken tasted quite good, though a tad similar to their Taiwanese Salted Chicken 盐酥鸡 ($4.80). Sam loved both versions.........I guess being crispy & juicy was more important.

The biggest surprise, for me, came in the way the drinks were served. I had not expected all the cold drinks we had ordered to be in bubble tea style: plastic cups sealed at the top, to be pierced with a fat straw. After all, we didn't expect any chewy pearls in my Ice Calamansi Tea ($2), the Ice Honey Lemon Tea ($2) nor the Homemade Barley ($1.50).

Sam didn't fancy the Barley I ordered for him (luckily I like its obvious homecooked richness, with plenty of barley in the cup), fighting instead for my Calamansi Tea, which was both sour & sweet, just the way we like it. The drinks took longer to prepare than the food apparently, being served after most of the dishes had appeared on the table. Perhaps none of the young staff on duty during the holidays were familiar with the sealing mechanism? ;P

All in all, we spent just under an hour inside the restaurant, thanks to its prompt service & serving of food. Just right for our purpose!


Xin Wang Taiwan Cafe
1 Jelebu Road
#02-27/32 Bukit Panjang Plaza
Tel: 6892-6953

No comments:

Post a Comment