Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Seasonal Menu @ Shimbashi Soba

3rd of Chinese New Year. Hubby and I were full of sweets & sinful snacks after visiting our colleagues, so we decided to go for a light dinner.

There were still seats available at Paragon's Shimbashi Soba, and the waitress gave us a corner table with bench seats on one end after understanding we have a young child. It was another 5 min before Sam was willing to enter the restaurant though: he was finding it very interesting watching the mill grind the flour & the chef make the soba noodles by hand, "just like play-doh!"
Sam was now tall enough not to require the white Ikea baby chair, though I still asked for the plastic bowl & kid's cutlery for him. Remembering my past experiences, I didn't try for the kid's sized udon nor soba, and started seeking for something I could share with Sam instead.

So I was very glad to realise they've added a seasonal menu now. The current one for Feb/Mar has something that appealed to me immediately: the Hiyashi Jako Soba ($16.80), which is chilled soba with shredded eggs, baby sardines and mentaiko paste.

I was right! The cold soba was lovely after a hot day, and even hubby found the sour/salty sauce easy on his palette. Sam had no problem eating the crispy baby sardines with his fav eggs & seaweed, even loved the 2 slices of Jap fish cakes that I don't fancy. He easily finished up a whole bowl of the noodles by himself!

About the only problem was that the soba was too easily digested! By the time we reached home, Sam was hungry again!! I guess next time I should try for some cold udon for him!

Oh, do note that the seasonal menus for the Paragon and the Raffles City outlets are different!


Shimbashi Soba
290 Orchard Road
Paragon #B1-41
Tel: 67359882

No comments:

Post a Comment