Saturday, November 22, 2008

Fancy Children's Bento Box in Aji Tei

Friend MJ reminded me there's a Japanese dessert place right inside Takashimaya, so decided to have my brunch there today & calm myself down with some desserts, after the terrible morning with sticky Sam.

Turns out Aji Tei is a more up-market version of Ajisen. There's a wider selection of dishes available, and the dessert menu is extensive, but the ramen is still the same base as that in Ajisen.

Baby chair: a plain sturdy low back wooden affair.

Kids' menu: There're 3 kids' sets available. Set A is the rice & prawn served on an aeroplane-shaped dish, same as the one in Ajisen. Set C is curry rice served in a soccer ball-shaped bento box. Since Sam doesn't take much spicy food that is out of the question.

Set B (S$6.80) is the ramen & prawn set (similar to the Ajisen version), but with 1 more prawn & half of a hard-boiled egg, served prettily in a Japanese doll-shaped bento box!

->
I haven't seen such pretty bento boxes since my fav Jap restaurant in KL!

For drinks, hubby wanted Sam to drink something more 'healthy', so ordered the nearest possible candidate - Macha Milk ($3.80). Turns out the taste of the condensed milk is too strong, hardly can taste the macha. Sam didn't like it, never took a 2nd sip.

Kids' utensils: I asked for a small fork for Sam to eat his prawns with, since they only served a plastic Chinese soup spoon with the kid's set, and chopsticks when we were 1st seated. The waitress brought along a plastic bowl too, fortunately, else I think Sam would have overturned the ramen bowl in his attempts to drink soup with the spoon.

My mood only improved slightly after the meal, cos the dessert I got, Warabi Kinako (S$5.80), was a disappointment. I miss the fresh ones I bought from the Japanese food fairs (abt the same price too!) in Isetan KLCC when we were still living in KL! I wonder where else can I get good warabi mochi here in Singapore............wonder if the tonkatsu restaurant in Liang Court I ate in 4 yrs ago is still open, if memory serves me correctly the warabi there was acceptable...............


Aji Tei (Japanese Cuisine & Dessert House)
391 Orchard Road
#B202 Takashimaya Department Store
(right inside Takashimaya, past the last cashier of Cold Storage)
Tel: 6333-8110

No comments:

Post a Comment