Saturday, November 22, 2008

How to Keep the Toddler Seated Longer

Here are the tactics I've resorted to when trying to get Sam to stay in his seat for a longer period when we dine out:

1. Eat somewhere that provides a baby chair!!! Sam has gotten used to the high chair, & the safety belt keeps him strapped in, so he can't get away on his own even if he wants to.

2. Avoid lunch & dinner peak hours, so that I can choose a table with a view to keep the toddler entertained, eg. facing the tv, fish tanks, view of the road with plenty of moving vehicles. If your toddler is easily distracted by certain views (eg. my Sam will clamour to join other kids walking pass the restaurant entrance), then you can at least choose tables that would not provide the distraction.

3. Delay putting Sam in the chair till the food arrives. Many a times did I place my orders with Sam on my lap, & I only put him in when the food is served. This reduces the amount of time he spends in the chair (sometimes even the 5 min delay is welcome), so he is more likely to last till we finish the meal. If hubby is with us, we sometimes take turns to place our orders, while the other half keeps Sam entertained at the fish tank/shopping mall.

4. Provide Sam with his fav toys - cars. I usually let Sam play with 2 ~ 4 toy cars while we wait for the food to be served. Sometimes he'll end up playing with them throughout the meal, other times he'll put the toys aside to self feed.

I suppose tactics 3 & 4 aren't exactly good habits. All I have in defense is that desparate mothers resort to desparate measures. ;P Unless anyone has better tactics to share????

No comments:

Post a Comment