Friday, December 5, 2008

Cooking Okonomiyaki in Yaki Yaki Bo

After a disappointing visit to yet-another nursery, I decided to go have a good lunch, as a belated birthday treat to myself.

This time, Sam noticed the big crab at the entrance to the Shokutsu-10 on our way down the escalator to the basement, and happily agreed to pose with it. But as you can see, he ended up scratching an itch, and I never managed to get him to pose again.

So with Sam babbling about the "kiap-kiap" crab that will make him "pain pain", and me trying to explain it's only a statue and will not hurt him, we made our way to the last restaurant on the right of the food street, Yaki Yaki Bo.

It's a relatively teppanyaki restaurant, with 3 teppan counters surrounded by dining seats, and several tables near the entrance for those who don't wanna sit at the cooking counters. But I wasn't interested in teppanyaki today. I've been eyeing the okonomiyaki menu ever since I walked past the restaurant on Monday (that's another dining experience), and today I've made my order - ebi okonomiyaki (S$10.90).

The waitress offered a teppan counter seat, and I didn't reject. Thought it would amuse Sam to watch the cooking process, as long as he understands the danger of the hot plate. I was right. Sam was entranced, and when the chef started on 2 other orders in the middle of our own meal, Sam started mimicking the cooking strokes!

The okonomiyaki is flatter, and the presentation different, from what I was used to in Osaka & Uji, but at least the general flavour is the same, and the texture of the 'Japanese pancake/pizza' is the same, with plenty of vegetables and just enough batter to hold the vegetables together. Best of all, the okonomiyaki was served with a little metal spatula, just like in Japan!

Sam enjoyed the new food, and I was glad I could get him to eat so much vegetables in addition to the prawns. Turns out Sam loved the bonito flakes piled on top of the okonomiyaki, so the big pile wasn't wasted.

The okonomiyaki sauce was a little too much for us, though, so I ordered an extra hot green tea ($1) in addition to our lime juice ($2.90). Sam finished half the bowl of accompanying miso soup, sipping directly from the bowl japanese style (I held the bowl for him of course!).

I kinda wish they would leave the okonomiyaki on the teppan in front of the diner, so that the food stays warm, and I can add my own toppings as I did in Japan. But I guess I should complain so much, not when I've satisfied my craving. At least they do have the sense to serve the dish to table diners on a small hot plate.

Oh, they do use the white Ikea baby chair & provided a plastic bowl & spoon with a small metal fork for Sam, so children are definitely welcome. ;)


Yaki Yaki Bo
1 Jurong West Central 2
#B1-52, Jurong Point
Tel: 6792-0583
Opens 11:30am ~ 10pm

No comments:

Post a Comment