Thursday, December 11, 2008

Keropok Galore in Siam Kitchen

Couldn't resist the die-cast models of the Comfort, Yellow Top & CityCab taxis, so today brought Sam to the Toys 'R' Us in Jurong Point to buy the pull-back toy car. He picked the blue Comfort model, and continued to be entranced by the car with front doors that can open & close (his 1st such toy) the entire day.

His fascination with the toy gave me the opportunity to examine the banner outside the Siam Kitchen on the way to NTUC, and so we ended up having the set lunch (S$11.90++) there.

The wooden baby chair was clean with a working safety belt, and the waitress, upon request, gave the complete plastic baby set (bowl, spoon, fork), with warm water & straw in the plastic cup. A big plate of keropok was served when we were seated. Sam loves the tidbit (adds $1 in the final bill), as I do, so we munched our time away waiting for the food to be served.


Of the 6 appetisers - 10 main courses - 3 drinks set lunch menu, I chose the spicy green mango salad, thai rice noodle with beef, and the iced lemongrass tea. The drink was refreshing, as claimed, though I find it a trifle sweet, and I personally prefer a stronger lemongrass taste.

The green mango salad was nicely sour & crunchy and really spicy (for me), and it's about the best dish of my lunch there, cos the beef noodles turns out to be a trifle disappointing. The soup was too oily for my taste; even looking at the oil reduced my appetite somewhat (though the mango salad turned it back up). The beef slices were fatty, and the beef balls not very flavorful. No, I'm not the only picky one - Sam also didn't like the beef balls much, eating only 1 when he could easily eat 3.

Worse still, he still doesn't like rice noodles much.......he willingly devours ramen, ban mian, & yellow noodles of all sizes, but when it comes to hor fan & kuay teow, he eats only just enough to stop his tummy growling. So his half bowl of rice noodles got wasted, and he ended up eating even more keropok!

I had added $1.90 for a dessert, caramelised tapioca with coconut milk (out of the 5 choices available). This turns out to be a big portion, but way too sweet for me. I thought the dish would be served dry, but the tapioca chunks are literally swimming in the bowl of syrup.

To top it all off, Sam's diapers overflowed and I ended the lunch rushing out of the restaurant to change his pants! What a meal! I suppose I shouldn't be too picky for the price paid & the size of the servings. Just treat it like a thai food court with service charge & GST, and since it's not crowded at lunchtime, it'll do, sometimes.


Siam Kitchen
#B1-06 Jurong Point (outside NTUC Fairprice)
Tel: 6794-1588

1 comment:

  1. The first time I went to Siam Kitchen, I munched so much on the 'keropok', I couldn't eat my food which I ordered!

    Haha.. your blog just made me crave for it again!

    ReplyDelete