Thursday, December 25, 2008

Flower Bowl in Bali Thai

IMM is definitely one of the more child-friendly shopping malls in the West. Besides the free outdoor water-play area & sheltered playground, there's plenty of musical cars & gameball machines distributed all over the mall, so parents have something (assuming you're not picky) to entertain their children wherever they shop.

Today, Sam found his dream musical car: Mickey Mouse on a colourful car, his 2 loves in one! We were on the way to Popular, but Sam got distracted by this, and we never made it to the bookstore. I spent 20 whole minutes listening to Sam lament on the wheel that "break" (note the lack of front right wheel), and after he found the spare tyre at the back of the car, tried in vain to fix the problem! Really, spending too much time in the company of children may lower my IQ!!!!!!!

Lunch at Bali Thai today. We haven't eaten here for 4 years, and the food was as good as we remembered. The waitress discreetly obtained our approval before serving the keropok, since it costs us $3. Unlike the time in Siam Kitchen, Sam didn't eat much of the titbit, since it's the bitter version (sorry, not sure what's the true name of the titbit, I've always called it the bitter keropok!). I thought thus Sam would be hungry enough to eat plenty of my fried Thai rice noodles ($9.50) and the stuffed boneless chicken wings ($3.50/pcs, min 2 pcs).


While Sam enjoyed the delicious chicken (slightly minced with a bit of carrots & herbs), he only ate a third of the bowl of the noodles I set aside for him. I guess he found the same fault with the dish as I did: while the fried noodles do taste good, the sweetness of the sauce accumulates as you eat, so halfway through the dish, I was rather sick of the noodles already.

Hubby was luckier with his fried tang hoon ($8.80), which he finished so fast, only an empty plate greeted me when I tried to get an alternative carbohydrate for Sam. I guess he got really hungry after the terribly spicy papaya salad ($9.50) appetiser, which caused me to finish half my drink of calamansi ($3.80) after only a single mouthful! Nope, it's not just me, even hubby could only manage a few bites before surrendering.

While the service was generally good, with the waitress asking us to check the individual items before signing on the final bill (pretty sure it's a subtle way to make sure we won't return & complain about having to pay for the keropok!), the kids' utensils provided upon request still cause me to ponder.

The white Ikea baby chair was quite usual, but the translucent flower-shaped bowl the waiter brought doesn't resemble any child's bowl I've seen. I'm still wondering if that bowl is meant to be eaten from, or is it used to contain peanut shells or chicken bones???!!! And the waiter a bit blur blur, I had to ask a 2nd time before he got me a spoon for Sam, and yes, he provided an adult-sized spoon.......

Still, I can't help but wish I was hungry enough to order some of the desserts. Maybe next time...........


Bali Thai (IMM branch)
2 Jurong East St 21
#01-21 IMM Building
Tel: 6560-5660
Opens 11.30am ~ 10pm

No comments:

Post a Comment